Tuesday 7 September 2010

The Hijab

I have been wanting to write about this for ages now this topic is very close to my heart and I felt that during this blessed month I should dedicate at least one post about it.

I love writing about makeup, fashion and all things beauty, but this is important to me and I thought I would shed some light on it in the hope to educate and help the people who want to know more.

I am not one of those people who judge another based on their Islamic practice, because that is a personal issue between them and god so it is not my place to say they are good or bad Muslims.

All I can do is show them what is right and what is expected I have had many friends who didn't know what they were doing was wrong but I had my own ways to show them without being bossy or "miss know it all".

One example of what I hate is when people such as Friends or family members be all high and mighty and see you sitting down or watching TV say " OH Why don't you go and pray?" Ok firstly how does that encourage the person to pray they are only going to feel annoyed and not feel motivated to pray and hence distorting their intentions especially when they bang on about it.

The best way to do such a thing would be to get the prayer mat for them and leave it out, or ask them if they want to pray with you.

Coming back to the topic of Hijab I recently stumbled across this video on YT where this well known actress talks about her experience with the hijab and what made her wear it.

I often get asked why I decided to wear and the most common question I get is "did your dad make you wear it?".

I then think to my self "what are you talkning about? Of course my dad told me to wear it" and I get the look of ohh so your forced to wear it then, but that's not the case.

I always give the doctor patient analogy, you see when you go to the doctor seeking medical help he often knows best since he has studied for years and years and knows what hes talking about, for example if you had an infection you would take anti-biotics wouldn't you ? Or would just ignore what the doctor ordered and hope to god you don't die?

Well you see its the same with my dad, when I was growing up my dad did tell me that I should cover my hair and not wear tight clothes and all that jazz ,because that is a dad thing to teach and educate their children, but he also used to explain to me why I must do so, he wanted me to understand why and keep it up. He also wanted me to actually be content with wearing it so I get the rewards inshallah.


He explained to me that in surat a'noor it states that:

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty;that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what(must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband’s fathers, their sons…”
(Al-Quran 24:31)

Here is where most people get confused they always ask where in the quraan does it say women must cover their hair " its not clear" they say, but in arabic the veil in the quraan is called a "Khimar" and it comes from the word "Khamr" and Khamr  is what alcohol is called as it translates to "to affect the mind" which is in the head so that is why the the hijab is referred to as the "Khimar" which leads me to say that indeed it is prescribed for muslim women to wear the hijab on their head.

I would also like to mention that when the actress "hanan turk" explained why she started researching if she must cover her hair and body she told the presenter " I felt like I was doing all the right things, praying fasting and giving charity, and when I used to ask allah for forgiveness I used to call him habibi ( my love) ".

She initially wanted to look and find ways or documents that said you didn't need to wear the hijab because she could not bring ger self to do it she said she wasn't strong enough, but when she asked her sheikh and he explianed to her oll the reasons and why she explained to the presenter that if she really loved allah as she said she did she would do as he says and please him properly.

So ladies here an insight as to why a Muslim woman must wear hijab I hope you found this beneficial and may allah grant us heaven inshallah in this blessed month.

The interview can be found here if you want to see it but its in Arabic so non- Arabic speakers won't understand it.

No comments: